Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Have: Rockstar on erg, Had: Wreck on Water

If this was an erg camp I would be a platinum selling album rockstar right about now. I think I’m in the top five erggers, by my guesstimation of what I saw today. Which means nothing when I get into boats, and not taking strength to weight into consideration. Nothing is safe, nothing is sure. but currently I feel pretty good about it. Our work out was 4x10’ again, 10k pace. 10k pace? I’ve never officially erg tested a 10k. I don’t know what my pace is. And our ratings are open? I’m in the habit of matching sr and split so this is new and confusing for me. I did 10k for fun once and averaged a 1:55 so that’s what I tried to do, and I was on target for most of it.

We lined up ports in a line and starboards in a line facing each other. Like cowboys in the wild west waiting to beat each other to the draw. Or getting assigned partners for boat handling review. Basically the starboards are huge compared to the ports, everyone 6 foot or over is on starboard. Hopefully some of these smaller girls are f.a.s.t or there is going to be crooked steering for everyone. There are officially 27 of us. And we have like maybe 10 pairs at most so we will be spending part time on ergs until the UW coach finds us some more.

I got paired with the girl from Wellesley. She is really cool. if you don’t count getting into the infamous water lilly weeds and having enough of them wrapped around my oar so that every time I took a stroke the weeds dragged us off course, running into another pair, running a partial inch up on the dock, and failing at steering (I was stroking so it was not as much of my fault as it could be, maybe like 50%) and out pulling my partner on the swing (Indy will forever ring in my head “Just because its paddling doesn’t mean you slack off PITTS!!”) it was a good yet nerve wracking day. I have learned to be very patient with myself. And getting into a pair before I came was a very good idea.

Tomorrow I am going to have to officially meet some of these UW girls and make my presence known. Which shouldn’t be too hard seeing as I’m going to wear my LOOK AT ME NOW neon zebra spandex.
In other news:

• UW Men’s Pair camp = tall beasts
• 3 pairs will go to club nationals
• UW Coach made it sound like secondaries are mandatory.
• The parking issue deserves its own entry
•I was so stiff this morning I crawled onto the floor into the stretch that looks like you are bowing to a sultan or someone equally as important and twice as ugly.
•Funfetti is not a good lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment