Friday, July 2, 2010

And the boat is runnin' runnin'

yesterday i was switched in with the 6th seat of the freshman eight, and i was put in bow for the first time. this was a scary situation. I'm paranoid about hitting other boats, and it takes me a while to figure out what i'm doing. my plan is always to get ahead so i can see them coming and steer off the stern point. I dont advise this.

turns out i follow a whole lot better than i stroke. These girls are later to the catch, and move slower than i do. its better for me to follow them, it helps me match and clean up my form.

Today was seat racing again. I was knocked down to the 'B' flight. I have a week to claw my way in a form filled fashion back up to the top. I needed to dominate all seat races. My first one with the 6th seat was a race, it was going back and forth between three pairs until the last three hundred where we pulled it out. The second one I was back with my original partner 3 seat of the freshman eight and we walked all over the other people. no contest. mission accomplished. That was the best race I had, we were set, we had run, we moved.

A few people had given me advice for pairs, i was trying to row them like eights. Brute Force Power Team. turns out it doesnt work like that in a pair. all about matching, you can go 70% and still win if you match. when it gets heavy focus on catch timing. I was still cutting some 'S' curves but we were out ahead of everyone.

The coach said i had my best day yet. I may have found my way back into his good graces. hopefully this puts me back in the running. we'll see tomorrow during the remainder of seat racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment