Friday, July 9, 2010

The End Leads to Something New

today was my last day at pair camp. I had a good run of it. hard to believe a month went by so fast. Its sad that i wont be going to Club Nationals. I am dissapointed about that, but i could see it coming for a while. of the top three boats that went they were all UW girls. I knew coming in i'd be at a disadvantage. All of them had rowed together, weather it was during their season or last summer's pair camp. Or they had the advantage of seat racing with pairs earlier this year. however, i believe that if i was truely the supirior rower i could have conquered with whoever i was with. that was not the case. so while i didnt always understand who i got put with or the reasoning behind it, if i had been able to make the boat go fast from the get-go i would have had a better chance succeeding. This camp just cemented in my mind the further technique training I will need if i want to seriously row after college.

but to leave the summer on a highnote. We had an interteam regatta. which means that we did a time trail, were seeded into heats and then top three from each heat went to the grand final. top three boats to go to nationals. I was with #6. we had a pretty horendous time trial. we did not go straight, catch timing has been really hard for me to slow down. and i end up dragging us off course.

Our heat we were seeded forth, it was go time, and we made it in placing second by a hair, the really strong contender ended up pulling her partner around and placed forth. she nearly hit us and we were two lanes over. I had burning lungs at the end, plus the adreneline had kicked in.

The grandfinal we had trouble going straight, and we just didnt race as well overall. We ended up placing fifth. we would have probably had 4th, but that boat was in the far lane and we couldnt see how close it was, in the end we lost to them by two seconds, so really if we could have beat them, we should have.

5th was not a bad way to end it. My partner was the highest ranking freshman there. well technically she's a sophomore now. so that was cool. work with what you've got. and make it happen. she really made the last week and a half enjoyable for me. she was gracious about my bad bowing ability and patiently helped me sort things out.

So after this, i'm looking at sculling at pocock or taking the rest of the summer to cross train. I’ve begun to love rowing again. It isn’t some habit that I cant break. Its almost relaxing. Same with running, its enjoyable and not such a mental game. I’m not sure if I’ve just chilled out from lack of stress or what but its nice. and I'd like to continue it for the rest of the summer. lets hope me borrowing the beamer works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment