Monday, July 5, 2010

Training and Options

Its the last week of development camp. or as gina from syr put it "The last 500" that implies terrible agony and pain. I have to say rowing through the cut and seeing the slogans is inspiring, such as "Its a Pain Contest" or Seattle University's "ScrewU" or "Respect comes at the finish"

Today was the last of seat racing from last week. Since being knocked down to the B flight i think i have won every seat race. The first one that i raced today with the stroke of the freshman 8 was close with a not so convient half crab in the last five strokes. My next race with "Struzie" the Freshman #3, yeah it was a cleaned up. We just move well together, and its easy. We had some rough windy conditions, so that was fun, technical stuff to work on was highlighted, my favorite. I'm not sure if seat racing wins is enough to get me back in the running for Club National boats, but we shall see. You gotta give it your all and not worry about the rest.

Since after this week i will either be done or on my way to Club Nationals I have been trying to figure out what i should do. I can go to pocock if i get ahold of a car and train in small boats. Or i can train on my own either with urban erg workouts on my viking erg, or train for a half iron man triathalon. My instincts tell me training by myself isnt a good idea and the word ironman scares me. five miles is the furthest i have ever run, but i watch the biggest loser so i know a marathon for the overweight and infirmed is possible, there is just a 8 hour limit.

i would need to run 10 minute miles (2 hours and ten minutes) bike 56 miles in about four hours (14 mph which i have done for that amount of sustained time) and swim 3 miles within two hours. I was a swimmer but this is lake swimming and that is vastly different. i dont know if i can string all those things together. i would have to train like a crazy to be ready in a month. HOWEVER i really want to do a triathalon, and to say ironman strikes fear into the hearts of even the most brave and fearless. including myself. I also ordered ERG: 75 workouts for athletes. in either case i will start to get a move on and decide which of my three options will leave me in the best place to take on senior year.

No comments:

Post a Comment