Saturday, June 27, 2009

More trials and some bright spots

This is very long. be forwarned. It may go on forever.

I have been having a hard time adapting to skulling vs sweep rowing. Each day I get in the boat and I think, "Today will be the day that it clicks. Today I will get better." So far I come home each day a little dejected and email my mom my progress. Today she emails me back:

Only 45 more days left . Cross them off one at a time. Remember Joseph had to spend 13 years in prison. You only have to spend 2 months.

It does put it in a bit of perspective. If I know I only have 45 days I might as well enjoy them as much as possible. I do not want this to be a grit your teeth a bear it experience. I've done that in other places of life. I want to enjoy my summer of developing into a skuller. It is difficult knowing that since I am in a double I put another person through a rough practice. That is difficult.(I was exiled to a single and was getting good, flipping every other practice --improvement! but we are back to an even number [see below]) I am having to learn to be patient with the person it is hardest for me to be patient with. Myself.

I also think I try to do things with out God. "So this is the plan? Okay, when it doesnt work I will check back it." This never works. Its like having a glimpse of a blueprint and from memory recreating it, and instead of being a carpenter being an exposives engineer. choas ensues. I need to get back to my roots of having fun and remembering who I row for.

At times It does feel like I have been thrown to the wolves. The trick is learning to dance with them. (good for all of you that understood my play on words) I have always said about rowing, "I do not have to be the best. I just have to last the longest. THEN I will be the best." So far two girls have quit. So far I am better than two people. What If by the Plain White T's explains it well. Learning to let go of the expectations I have put on myself and just being able to relax and flow.

Enough of that, here are severals tales of adventure... or not.

Fools Gold
My friends know that I dont run. Ever. Not even in cases of fire. Maybe for pennies, but that is it. Our coach assigned a 30 minute easy workout. our choice: erg or run
I got permission to bike On the mountain bike.

Now the post office is 3 miles away up a HUGE hill. But cell service is avalible. I get permission to ride the bike. The back wheel had the brake rubbing. So I fix it. 9/10s up the huge hill the wheel starts rubbing again. So I fix it to the point of breaking it. meaning the back wheel is being held in place by the gearing system. that is all. Completely unrideable. However I am determined to get to cell service so I jog for 12 minutes (okay more like ten) and walk for five and make it to the post office. Success!! the cell service is terrible the 8 phone calls i had with my mom consisted of me saying, "can you hear me now?" until I lost her.

I then have to run back to the top of the huge hill. get the bike out of the bushes and walk back to the double wide. I get gyped out of zooming down the hill. The reward of climbing hills is flying down them i feel robbed. AND i had to run on top of it. (it wasnt really running, i think walking would be just as fast) BUT I have proved that I can run 10 minutes twice in one day. and that was my hour and half workout that was supposed to only be 30 minutes. mission accomplished.

More Weight Room Pain
I believe I forgot to mention that at weights on wensday I was stung by a creature with wings on the back of my thigh. It climbed up my shorts, and when I tried to stretch out my hamstrings it didnt like getting pressed into the matt and stung me. This bug bite did not start big it was quite small. It is now larger than my hand. It has swelled up to half the size of the back on my thigh. So i win largest bug bite. It has been 3 days and no signs of diminishing. Oh and I do have bruised knees. just incase you wanted to know.

Indiana Hospitality
Not to let you think that everything in Indiana is terrible, I think something must be very exciting, I just hadnt found it yet. until tonight. The rowing club that rows for fun on lake lemon invited us to a bbq at one of the member's houses. We all happily showed up and were treated to a full bbq spread by complete strangers, the only thing we had in common was that we row. Apparently most people on the lake know who we are. In unionville news we are it. That was very wonderful to have grilled hamburgers and enjoy new company.

I will be leaving for a ten hour ride to philly tomorrow I still need to pack and get my stuff ready for departure. I am ready to be within walking distance to a cinema, trader joes, cell service, and civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment